Monday, December 29, 2008

Getting Older at Christmas

I love the Christmas season, but I really wish I could still feel the way I did when I awoke that Christmas Day to a new Nintendo (the original system). There's a magic surrounding a child during Christmas that is hard to explain. 

Third Day's song, "Christmas Like A Child," does a great job of describing this. "I want to feel Christmas, how it used to be / With all of its wonder, falling on me. This season has felt so empty, oh for quite a while / I want to feel Christmas, like a child."

I'm not saying I've lost all excitement; but it changes as you get older. If you're past the age of 15, you know that.

As you get older, you start to focus on more important things, like actually spending time with your family, and helping others, during the holidays.

I love my dad, always have, always will. But, especially as I'm about to be a dad, I find myself wanting to sit and talk with him, and not be so ready to rush off to the next thing.

Visiting grandparents should be high on everyone's priority list. (If you really want to know why you are the way you are, go sit and talk with them; and do it before it's too late).

Presents matter, but at the same time, they don't. I posted a video a few weeks ago called "Advent Conspiracy." The video reveals that Americans spend $450 billion on Christmas gifts, annually. The estimated cost to make clean water available to everyone in the world, is $10 billion.

Maybe getting older at Christmas brings you closer to reality.

Maybe it makes you think about what really matters in life: not you, but others.

No comments:

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months