Sunday, April 5, 2009

No need to wait

This morning at church we observed (the overly-structured version of) the Lord's Supper. 

A young guy in front of us, who appeared to have some sort of mental or physical challenge, immediately drank and ate the bread and "wine," once he had them in his hands.

I absolutely loved this. Watching him do this had more of an impact on me than on anything the minister said all morning, or any song we sang.

He saw no reason to wait. He was very excited to partake in one of the most special and symbolic acts (Protestant version) among Christians.

Jesus did tell us he is the "bread of life." Maybe (only) metaphorically speaking, but I disagree. Sharing about Jesus with someone who is hungry is quite meaningless; I don't think you can separate the two.

I'm not saying my friend was physically hungry; I'm just assuming he was excited about the meaning behind the act.

Either way, he taught me something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is wondeful. how many others would've looked at it totally different, but you saw this. thanks for sharing - ashley

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months