Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Mom Face

I took Harv to the doctor this morning for his official 9 month checkup (just really wanted to make it feel important, so I put "official" in front of it. Really made you think it was a big deal, huh?). Everything went well, Harvey is perfect (duh) and a total genius (tell me something I don't know). He skipped the basic babbling--mama, dada, baba---and has moved straight into hahaha and gagaga. See, genius. I was really kind of worried about his speech, but his Dr. assured me that he's totally fine and has just moved onto more advanced noises. Harvey even demonstrated (over and over) all his many phrases so Dr Huss could hear them all. We're were all so impressed.

One interesting thing that has been happening lately: Harvey has started to really throw some temper tantrums. Every time you get him dressed your faced with hand slapping, screaming/crying, feet kicking, and some serious pelvic thrusting to demonstrate how much he dislikes getting dressed. Same with the highchair, or anytime you're messing with him when he doesn't want to be messed with. So, my response: enter---The Mom Face. Oh yes, I have been perfecting this technique on other children for many years. You know what I'm talking about. The stern voice accompanied by the head cocked to the side, eyebrow raised, and the evil eye. I knew my mom face was really coming together a few years ago when I was nannying Sophie, a five year old. One day, we were playing and she took the game too far. I gave her a warning, and then out came the mom face with her most final warning. She looked right at me and said "Oh man, that's your serious face. That's not your Mrs. Sarah play face. You must be gettin' mad." And that's when I knew, all that practice was finally coming together.

So the last couple of weeks, I've been debating whether or not it's too early to be mom facing Harvey. One part of me feels like I don't take any c-r-a-p (spelling words on here like I have to in real life) off of anyone under 4 feet tall, including Harvey. The other part of me feels like he's too young to be "disciplined" at all. But, we have to start sometime, and that's how behavior gets out of control before you know it. Back and forth all the time. There have been a few times where I have gotten stern without even thinking about it. I just stop what I'm doing, look him right in the eye, and sternly tell him to "Stop". That's all. And he does. For just a minute, of course. But it's getting his attention. He knows, mom doesn't normally talk to me like that. And her face, what the heck happened to her face?! Is she having some kind of small stroke or something?

While we were at the doctor, he was asking about tantrums, saying we're right on track. I admitted that I had been getting pretty straight forward with him and attempting to be stern about tantrums, but that I felt bad because I know he's so young. Our doctor said that's good, and normally he has to have "stern" talks with moms about not sweet talking all the time, that they need to try to be tougher with their children. Oh no sir, not me! I'll be tough on him all day, you just say the word! I like strict, and the face that comes along with it! :) So look out Harv, mom and dad are going to be cracking down on tantrums. Not like it's going to stop them---they're inevitable for the next 20+ years. I know I still like to throw a tantrum every now and then. Feels so good.

Ok, here are the official (there it is again) 9 month stats.

Weight: 22.94 pounds. 83rd percentile (Down from the 90th last time). Gained 2.5 pounds

Length: 30.75 inches. 98th percentile (same). He's grown 1 3/4 inches.

Head:18.58 inches. 92nd percentile (down from 93rd). He's up about 1/2 inch.

Hoping to get some photos edited and up here today. Got a lot left to do though, so we'll see! My new lens should be delivered today, so I will definitely have some new fun photos soon!

I will leave you with these images. I let him "help" me with the pantry one day a few weeks ago. Boy thought he had died and gone to Heaven! If only he knew how to open a jar............

No comments:

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months