Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Need a Nap

Man, dropping this morning nap is no joke. For the last couple of weeks, Harvey has simply been opting out of morning nap most days. I'll put him in his bed, he sits in there and plays and talks for about and hour (or more if I have some stuff to do :) ), and then he gets up and goes on about his day until afternoon nap. It's been very simple, really. On the days when he wakes up super early (ie-5:45am), he wants to take a little morning nap. But then, he's a party animal when it comes time for afternoon nap! Yesterday he was awake at 5:45, so I let him take a little morning nap for about an hour. Then during afternoon nap, he played in his bed for 2 1/2 hours, finally falling asleep at 4. Ah, perfect, since that's what time he needs to be getting up from nap. So I let him sleep until 5, and he was still ready for bed by 7:30 last night.

This morning, he woke up at 6. I decided it really didn't matter, and there was no way he was taking a morning nap today. Whew, I miss morning nap! I miss checking emails, blog stalking, facebooking, all the important things I was able to do between 9 and 10:30/11. I miss my down time. It may not sound like much, but it's an adjustment for me for sure. And, a bit of an adjustment for Harvey as well. He was doing so well until lunch time---the time when all little children lose their minds. I was in the kitchen making lunch while MH and Harvey were in there playing with their kitchen toys like they do everyday (cause heaven forbid I should go to another room where they can't see me---pretty sure these kiddos think they're watching me for a living). All the sudden, Harvey decided this wasn't going fast enough, so he started crying. I picked him up, let him see what was gonig on, and then put him down so I could finish. That's when he decided to teach me a little lesson about how lunch time works when you haven't had a nap. He starts screaming, crying, flailing around under my feet. MH is not one to be left out, so she too starts crying. Not to be out done, Harvey takes it to the next level and starts crying harder until he is gagging/dry heaving. Perhaps I'm a little hardened from working with children for so many years, because this does nothing for me. You can just keep on with your little tantrum, and I'll get to you when lunch is ready. Or when you actually throw up, whatever comes first. (Note: I've never had a child actually throw up from crying. I'm really not that mean.) I finally get lunch ready, get everyone in their seats with their lunch, and all is right with the world once again. Not a single tear was shed after that. Kids are funny (ish).

I have a new photography project I'm about to start that I'm pretty excited about. I was blog stalking yesterday, and saw a project called "A Week In the Life". What I'm going to do is pick a week and document every little thing that happens with Harvey that week. You take photos of all the little mundane details in life, keep all your receipts/ticket stubs etc, write down everything you did that day, keep the front page of the newspaper for each day, whatever you want to do, and then make a scrapbook from that week. I think it will be so fun to look back on this in a few years and remember exactly what life was like when we had a little one year old running around. And, it will be so sweet for Harvey to look back and be able to see what he looked like when he was riding in the car, what his play room looked like at our house, see his favorite toys, to know what his daily routine was, read little notes and letters from John and myself. It's just a chance to celebrate every moment in life, the moments you wouldn't necessarily capture on a normal day. I'm not so sure I explained this very well, so for more info check this out http://www.aliedwards.com/2010/04/the-basics-of-documenting-a-week-in-your-life.html And I'll be sure to keep you updated throughout the project. Everybody get pumped up, Seven Days of Harv is coming back!

No comments:

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months