Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Note From Dad

To my Baby Clore (due to this world 5/23/09),

I love you. You are already one of the most precious things to me in this world. Behind my Savior and your Mom, you are the most precious thing to me. You have come along at a perfect time; a time that your Mom and I could not have planned. You are a gift to us. You are already teaching us more about what really matters in life.

We are preparing for Christmas. Thanksgiving Day is this coming Thursday. Although most would call me crazy, I say this is your first Christmas. You are alive and well - I heard your heartbeat this past Wednesday. I see the effect you already have on your Mother. I know you are already rockin' it in there, and I couldn't be more excited, and proud.

The world is going through some interesting stuff right now. The economy is apparently the worst it's been in umpteen years, our nation has its first black president and the St. Louis Rams are a dreadful 2-9. Yesterday marked the 45th anniversary of the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Your Uncle Andrew's band played a concert in San Diego this past Friday night, and Grandpa and Grandma Clore were there. Dad's old youth pastor, Thom, is about to come have dinner with us. Those are just some of the things going on in life right now.

You're coming into an interesting world, my friend. One that will hurt you. One that will tempt you. One that will lie to you. One that will not satisfy. It's ok though. You are also about to enter God's beautiful creation. It is His world. In the end, He wins. It's all going to be ok. For all of its beauty, splendor, wonder, confusion and mystery, always remember that it is not your home. It is not my home; and I can't tell you how thankful that makes me.

I promise you will feel this way. C.S. Lewis said it best. "If I find myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." Someday I trust that you will be able to read this quote and smile, just as I am right now.

I cried a bit this morning during church, because we sang one of my favorite hymns, and I thought of you. The song was "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." The third verse gets me every time: "O to grace how great a debtor / Daily I’m constrained to be! / Let Thy goodness, like a fetter / Bind my wandering heart to Thee. / Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, / Prone to leave the God I love; / Here’s my heart, O take and seal it, / Seal it for Thy courts above."

Your physical arrival is highly anticipated. You are already part of a loving family and BIG circle of friends.

I love you with all of my heart,

Your Dad

1 comment:

Alicia Marie said...

John, that was beautiful. Your baby will LOVE reading that... you will love reading that after you just cleaned up baby's puke :) I am so excited for you guys, so excited. Jack is looking forward to meeting this baby Clore!

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months