Wednesday, November 26, 2008

St. Francis Changed My Life; So did Rich

My life has been significantly changed by a man called Rich Mullins, who is no longer with us. He died in 1997, but his impact is far from gone.

The attitudes and actions of this man changed my life. But, what changed his life?

In addition to Rich's Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (all that really matters), St. Francis of Assisi, a patron saint that passed away in 1226, changed his life. St. Francis also loved Jesus. St. Francis loved all of creation that his Jesus had given him. 

"Francis was reverently in love with all natural phenomena - sun, moon, air, water, fire, flowers; his quick warm sympathies responded to all that lived. His tenderness for and his power over animals were noted again and again. From his companions we have the story of his rebuke to the noisy swallows who were disturbing his preaching at Alviano: 'Little sister swallows, it is now my turn to speak; you have been talking enough all this time.' We hear also of the birds that perched attentively around when he told them to sing their Creator's praises, of the rabbit that would not leave him at Lake Trasymene, and of the tamed wolf of Gubbio - all incidents that have inspired innumerable artists and story tellers." (from ewtn.com).

Rich Mullins described creation in one of the most beautiful ways I have ever heard, in the song "Calling Out Your Name." Here's an amazing (unofficial) video.....




I am thankful for this amazing and indescribable creation, and how God uses it to continually change my life. And I can't tell you how thankful I am for recently seeing the horizon on fire.

Whatever you do, please run wild with the hope.

1 comment:

John Northrup said...

One of my favorite Rich quotes:
"I am a Christian not because someone explained the nuts and bolts of Christianity to me, but because there were people who were willing to be the nuts and bolts, who through their explanation of it, held it together so that I could experience it and be compelled by it to obey."

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months