Friday, January 30, 2009

The Wrestler

I went to the theater today and saw "The Wrestler" (it's not for the kids). 

You know when you see, hear or experience something that seems to knock the breath out of you. Yeah, this was one of the most sobering films I have ever seen.

Professional wrestling was a big thing for me while growing up. I grew up in the 80s and 90s, a key time-period for the organization that used to be the WWF (now the WWE), and WCW.

My brother and I used to watch these crazy matches on TV, all the time. Hulk. Ultimate Warrior. Andre the Giant. "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. Big Boss Man. Undertaker. "Macho Man" Randy Savage. You name it. 

In '92, Dad took us to Busch Stadium II to see most of these guys (seriously, thanks Dad). It was quite the experience.

I don't really remember when I figured out that it was fake; but somewhere along the line, I realized that it was. Either way, this stuff couldn't be easy.

And, my goodness, this movie shows that side of it. I don't know that this movie exactly reflects what happens to the majority of professional wrestlers as they get later in life, but I wouldn't be surprised.

My point here is not to give the movie away, but to help frame that it's not a "fun" movie. It shows the miserable, dark and unforgiving side of that business.

These wrestlers are products. These products are humans. And these humans feel and hurt just like the rest of us.

On that note, I do highly recommend this movie. Just try to emotionally prepare yourself first. Leave some free-time on the back-end of the film. When I left, I felt like going to lay on my bed to stare at the wall.

Here's the trailer:

No comments:

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months

Archive