Monday, March 2, 2009

This Wrestler Thing Has Really Gotten To Me

I don't know if it's because I used to watch it so much growing up, or if it's because I feel like I'm actually in the process of really growing up right now. Either way, this movie, "The Wrestler," and the Bruce Springsteen song of the same name, have really gotten to me.

Back in 2003, when I first watched the music video for Johnny Cash's version of Trent Reznor's heroin-influenced song, "Hurt," I cried.

Amazing works of art come along frequently, but the ones that really stop you dead in your tracks, the ones that really make you think, the ones that you can't stop thinking about; those are rare.

This film "The Wrestler" has been on my mind a whole lot since the day I saw it. I blogged about it back on January 30, the day I saw it. Since then I've found myself thinking of life through the lens of Mickey Rourke's character. This guy who was (fictionally, but it doesn't really matter) on top of the world in his field, then pretty much lost it all.

He had it all. Then he lost it all. I don't want to spoil the movie if you haven't seen it, but what I'm saying is fairly obvious, just by watching the trailer.

But watching the movie in its entirety puts it together in a way that speaks volumes

Maybe it's a guy thing; I'm not sure. But I do know that as a man, the building-up of possessions, earthly-trophies and lots and lots of accolades, holds a firm place on my being. I wish it didn't, but it does. And that's why this movie, and these two songs have absolutely sobered my entire frame-of-reference.

Everything physical goes away someday. The things of this earth will crumble, they will fall. Spirituality is so important, because it's all that really matters in the end. I am a Christian, so it means a whole, whole lot to me, but even for non-Christians, it's tough to say there's no spirituality in this world. After loved-ones are gone, they live on in a spiritual-way around us. They are no longer physically with us, but we don't forget them. Their spirit lives on.

We worry about so many stupid things, and I know I'm not just speaking for myself on that one.

Things don't matter. Relationships do.

When you're not even able to perform your one trick anymore, who's going to be with you? 

Don't spend so much time pursuing things that will fail that you fail every one around you.

Here's the song "The Wrestler," from Bruce Springsteen. I recommend visiting YouTube to watch the actual music video.

No comments:

>



New Little Harvey

New Little Harvey

One Month

One Month

Two Months

Two Months

Three Months

Three Months

Four Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months

Six Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Seven Months